Monday, January 21, 2013

Quest 1 - Game Manual

Introducing the game to the students went well. None of the students opted out. One of them instantly declared English her new favourite subject. I overheard one of the students planning his character before he'd even had his introductory lesson with me yet.

After explaining as much as I could about Wordhammer, I issued each student a 'Game Manual' - made from nothing more intense than a combination of printed out pages in a plastic flip folder. Each manual includes a Welcome Sheet and Glossary, a list of Races and Classes, a list of Achievements, an HP and XP Chart and a basic overview of what earns what XP.


The first step was to choose a race and a class. After much internal debate and serious discussion, the students each made their choices official by highlighting or colouring in their selections.

(I apologize for the dismal photos. My camera is terrible and my photography skills worse.)


I had each student draw a picture of their character to use as the cover for their Game Manual.

The efforts of my two youngest students - a Vampire and a Werewolf, both warriors

As quests, I gave them the simple tasks of reading through their game manuals and choosing a character name. The results:

List of Wordhammer Characters

Wolf - Werewolf Warrior
Wolf is five years old. She planned to be a troll until she saw the werewolf. The suggestions of fairy or mermaid were met with scorn.

David - Vampire Warrior
When asked to choose a character name, David modestly put forward his own. He understands why other people may want to change their names. Poor things.

Kathrine - Vampire Mage
Kathrine has rewritten history and legend in her character's biography without batting an eye. She also assures me that her name is not misspelled - it's meant to be spelled this way because of things. 

Dragidore - Elf Rogue
Dragidore has plans to become a magician, and takes his role as a rogue very seriously. This does involve a certain amount of living-on-the-edge for the rest of us, not to mention a fairly constant need for updated classroom rules.

The Goblin Mage of Always and Cleverness - Goblin Mage
Goblins, the Goblin Mage of Always and Cleverness tells me, have different ways to humans. Better ways. Grander names, to start with.


More has happened since this, but I'll post about that at a later stage. What I can say is, so far, Wordhammer seems a success.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there!

    I'm not a gamer, but I am thinking SERIOUSLY about using this kind of thing in my small group to get kids to learn study skills, organization, etc. Is the "game" on paper or computer? And how do you track? I hope you still check these comments. I know this is an old post. Thanks so much! My e-mail is: LynnHughes1965@gmail.com. Any help you could give a non-gamer would be MUCH APPRECIATED! Thanks, Lynn

    ReplyDelete